Saturday, September 30, 2006

THAT’S NOT SIEGFRIED!

I was disappointed with yesterday’s Siegfried production, which had the one nice feature of starting at 2 in the afternoon so we were out in time for dinner (risotto with shrimp down the street from the opera house). Because not only did it seem to me the audience wasn’t going for it, I found the entire approach wrong-headed on the following counts:

Set in a dream-world. The idea, I’m assuming, was to focus on the psychological issues in the story; Freudian or Jungian or whoever readings of the fairy-tale opera as about psychological growth. Well, maybe. But you can do that in any kind of production, so long as you have the text and the music. The dream-world set here seemed principally to afford the virtue of cheapness. There were two beautiful set pieces, for Act One and Act Two, and just a big pile of supers for Act Three. It was all black and white, and although the imagery was occasionally beautiful, the longeurs were vast.

Moreover, a ‘dream-like’ mise-en-scène--think films like Cocteau’s Belle et la Bête, or Buñuel, or Jonathan Miller’s Alice in Wonderland, or Robert Wilson or even Beckett--in my experience this approach usually either puts the audience to sleep or makes them work really really hard. The staging keeps contradicting the titles; the audience didn’t pay to have to reconcile each contradiction, to be constantly wondering “Now why did they ignore that part?”

Siegfried is a comedy. Now, we have Wagner’s word for it, and I’m not insisting! I’ve been to wonderful Siegfrieds that don’t try really hard for comic effect. I’m just saying, there needs to be a lightness, a joie de vivre about the experience. Which was so extremely lacking in the theater yesterday I was ready to scream. I was scared to take a note or two on the piece of paper in my lap, for fear the sound of the paper crinkling might disturb the silence-of-the-dead that reigned in the audience. Not a giggle at Siegfried’s pathetic oboe/reed blowing; the only levity they allowed themselves was a chuckle at “Ich will dem Kind nur den Kopf abhau’n!” and (depsite not having a title) a smirk at “Das ist kein Mann!” Not to toot our own horn, but when we did a production last summer, which certainly didn’t TRY to be funny, the audience was laughing most of the way through the show, having a great time. It can be funny and touching at the same time. I believe that’s what Wagner wanted.

The real issue yesterday was a strangely pale presentation of the central character. Christian Franz can certainly sing the piece, beautifully. But his greatest moments are sottovoce, long and pianissimo and exquisite and usually incredibly sad, when he’s longing for his mother or complaining to the bird about his loneliness. He didn’t give us a trace of the lusty hothead youth, the reckless, ADD teenager--which, again, is what the show is about. When he’s not bursting with energy (whether because the director told him to do everything in slow-motion, like a dream, or because he’s playing to his strengths, which include exquisite preciousness but no balls-to-the-wall wild excitement) this show doesn’t add up to much. Because of the dream-like staging, we didn’t get close enough to any of the other characters to care about them. So it ended up, as I say, being a disappointing day.

Today, Toronto’s great Ring Symposium #3! And on to the end of all things tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger superstar said...

life just a good

7:05 AM  
Blogger Michael van Baker said...

"Das ist kein mann!" always slays me. Always.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Dean said...

You're right, it's not even funny. I'm sure Wagner didn't think so! The only reason people laugh there is because they don't buy the characters or the drama, in which case, I guess, it's a pretty silly thing to say.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EFFECTIVE AND MOST POWERFUL 24 HOURS LOVE SPELL CASTER 2020


I feel very happy to share my great and wonderful testimony with everyone on this platform..: I was married for 7 years to my husband and all of a sudden another woman came into the picture he started hating me and he was abusive and all because i never bear him a child. but i still loved him with all my heart and wanted him at all cost.... He filed for divorce and my whole life was turning apart and i didn't know what to do, he moved out of the house and abandoned me all alone,one day a very close friend of mine told me about trying spiritual means to get my husband back,so i went online to search and i came across so many spell caster who only wasted my time and took a lot of money from me,but i went back to her and told her that spiritual way has only taking my money and not yielding anything, and she introduced me to a spell caster, Dr gbojie, so i decided to try it. although i didn't believe in all those things because of what i have gone through lately, i contacted Dr gbojie and he explain all my problems to him and he told me that i shouldn't worry that when he cast the spell on me and my husband that my husband is going to run back to me and that within 2 weeks am going to get pregnant,so i did the little he ask me to do and behold it all work out,my husband run back to me and right now we have Twins Girl and a boy,so all thanks to Dr gbojie you're indeed a great spell caster, in case anyone needs help here, whatsapp him now +2349066410185 or email him : gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com
Website : http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home